Also, suppliants are bound under oath to disclose all the prior art that they
know of.  Arguably, after reading this thread, they have to forward it to the
patent office.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Stephen Farrell" <stephen.farr...@cs.tcd.ie>
Sent: ‎10/‎29/‎2014 12:48 PM
To: "Don Blumenthal" <dblument...@pir.org>; "Rubens Kuhl" <rube...@nic.br>;
"Florian Weimer" <f...@deneb.enyo.de>
Cc: "dns-privacy@ietf.org" <dns-privacy@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dns-privacy] Verisign patent disclosure

The quoted thread looks to me like nearly-very-good prior
art. If it had said the same for 2LDs or more generically
for any number of labels then it'd be very good prior art.
But the existence of really really good prior art has in
the past not been enough to stop the USPTO so I wouldn't
hold out that much hope of something sensible happening
there. Perhaps it'd be more likely that the applicant
might decide to not bother pursuing something for which it
turns out there is good prior art, which can actually
be a fine outcome as an abandoned application is a pretty
good IPR declaration really;-)

S.