While tunneling over DNS is interesting, it isn't really the answer to our
problem which is how to establish a robust and efficient encrypted DNS
protocol.

DNS tunnels tend to be used by folk willing to tolerate low bandwidth and
low latency. Cramming your requests into BASE32 encoded labels and your
the only lookups you want to do are A and AAAA but not so great if you want
to do DNSSEC.

There are ways to do efficient discovery over a DNS tunnel, in fact that
was the original rationale for Omnibroker. Faced with a lossy, low
bandwidth channel, I decided to compress multiple queries into one.

The much simpler solution is to abandon the use of port 53 for encrypted
DNS and negotiate the port number along with the crypto parameters. UDP
works fine on non port 53 in over 95% of cases and most importantly, there
is no way for British Telecom to know that you are making a DNS query so
they can redirect your requests for google.com to their proxy which does
SSL stripping - like I found them doing to me over the weekend.

Lets just get over the well known port concept. It is not scalable and it
is not necessary for what we are doing here. Do the connection
establishment over port 80 or port 443 and let the attacker guess what the
service port is.

For the rare cases where you can't do port 53 then you can either fall back
to DNS tunneling or to HTTP/HTTPS. In the first drafts of Omnibroker I
suggested both but figures from the TLS faction here convince me that we
don't really need both.