Paul Hoffman <paul.hoff...@vpnc.org> wrote:
> On May 12, 2015, at 11:40 AM, Simon Josefsson <si...@josefsson.org> wrote:
>
> > For SMTP, IMAP, POP etc the reason for having both port-based and
> > upgrade-based is legacy and historic reasons: back in the days the
> > STARTTLS approach wasn't invented, so following HTTP(S) footsteps, new
> > ports were allocated for "secure" protocol variants.  Modern protocols
> > does not have this issue; compare XMPP.

> That's not accurate for SMTP: during discussion of RFC 2487, there was
> no alternate port for SMTP-over-TLS. It's also not accurate for IMAP and
> POP: both of those got STARTTLS-like extensions "because that's how SMTP
> works".

My understanding is that the smtps port was allocated, then in a fit of
panic the IETF decided that allocating N*M ports (N protocols, M security
layers) would be a disaster and cause horrible security layer negotiation
problems, so smtps was un-allocated and STARTTLS was invented. (IANA
doesn't record when imaps and pops ports were allocated but I think it was
before smtps.)

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
Southeast Iceland: Variable 4, becoming southeasterly 5 or 6. Moderate or