On 11/02/2015 04:22 AM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> Despite my comments against the hum at the mic, I have read this
> document and think it should certainly be adopted.  I just don't want
> Yet Another Meaningless Commitment.

I think the document is useful, particularly in its overview of many
different aspects of privacy and pointers to thinking about information
linkage, rather than just the sensitivity of any given data point.

A few additional concepts might be helpful in the section on
quantification (around p7).

* k-anonymity [Sweeney]: k measures the smallest subset among which
information identifies an individual in a population; smaller subsets
offer less crowd-privacy.

* external or auxiliary information: information outside the specified
transaction or query that may be linked with that returned by the query.
(For example, time-stamped web server logs could be linked with
similarly timed DNS queries, making the query record more sensitive.)

* differential privacy [Dwork]: a measure of privacy over interactive
database queries, where the database-holder can tune the output to avoid
revealing more than (epsilon) about a subject, over repeated queries.
Possibly worth noting that's not what we're likely to be able to
measure/offer here.

* unicity [Montjoye]: knowing an individual is in the data-set, how many
data-points are necessary to identify them uniquely.

p5: Is it worth saying explicitly that "PII" is different from
"sensitive information"? By saying that information is personally
identifying, we're indicating that it uniquely identifies an individual.
That opens the door to linkage with sensitive information, even if the
PII is itself non-sensitive.

p11 Mix networks. worth mentioning the latency-privacy tradeoff?

p11 Dummy Traffic. In many instances, dummy traffic (or chaff) is easily
distinguished from real traffic, or still permits identification,
particularly with repeated observations. [Oya]