Alex,

<
> 2) the error code to use for malformed payload is FORMERR.
>
> I perfectly understand that most Responders will not want to check
> this ( for performance reasons), and I think the above statements
> would allow for that.

Okay, I think that this is quite reasonable. Text simply saying that is
fine with me. Perhaps something like:

"A Responder MAY check the payload for non-0x00 octets. If any are
discovered, then this is a malformed payload, and the Responder should
use the FORMERR return code."

> > Further, I don't think there is any possible benefit for this
> > check.
>
> I think there is. It discourages the use of the payload as a covert
> channel. While a high performance Auth server might not want to check
> this, a firewall might definitely want to validate the payload for
> security reasons.

In principle EDNS0 padding is mostly used to prevent attackers from
using packet size as a way to do traffic analysis on queries, right? So
mostly this will be within encrypted packets (or streams), and in
general a firewall or other middlebox will not have access to the
contents of the packet.

Still, I suppose that it is worthwhile documenting that using EDNS0
padding as a covert channel is a Bad Idea(tm) and that Responders may
check this for the purpose of discouraging such usage.

> > The most likely result is going to be that implementors will read
> > this and think that they need code in there to confirm that all
> > bytes are 0.
>

> Understood. I mainly wanted to remove ambiguity about the response
> code to use in this case.

Cool.

> > I feel pretty strongly that this text should be left out.
>
> What about splitting the text into its two logical parts, according
> to my two points above?  Would that work?

Yes, I think this is reasonable.

Cheers,

--
Shane