On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 5:16 PM Peter Koch <p...@denic.de> wrote:

> Hi Warren,
>
> On Wed, Oct 07, 2020 at 04:39:54PM -0400, Warren Kumari wrote:
>
> > 4.1.  The Public Nature of DNS Data
> >
> >    It is often stated that "the data in the DNS is public".  This sentence
> >    makes sense for an Internet-wide lookup system,  and there
> >    are multiple facets to the data and metadata involved that deserve a
> >    more detailed look.  First, access control lists (ACLs) and private
> >    namespaces notwithstanding, the DNS operates under the assumption
> >    that public-facing authoritative name servers will respond to "usual"
> >    DNS queries for any zone they are authoritative for without further
> >    authentication or authorization of the client (resolver).  Due to the
> >    lack of search capabilities, only a given QNAME will reveal the
> >    resource records associated with that name (or that name's non-
> >    existence).  In other words: one needs to know what to ask for, in
> >    order to receive a response. However, there are many ways in
> >    in which supposed "private" resources leak, including DNSSEC
> >   NSEC zone walking [REF]; passive-DNS services [ref]; employees
> >   taking their laptops home (where they may use a different resolver),
> >   and refreshing names which should only exist in their enterprise
> > environment, etc.
>
> I think this text is mixing too many aspects that are (or should eventually
> be)
> covered in other parts of the document.

The document is in IESG eval -- there is no more "eventually".

> The antipodes are _not_ 'public'
> and 'secret'.  The purpose of that section was to exactly counter the
> too narrow perception that 'all data in the DNS is public' (which by the
> way, was a usual counter argument to NSEC3) to help motivate the need
> for further dealing with DNS privacy.

I fully agree that we need to explain the need for DNS privacy -- but
to my mind the original text does the opposite - it provides the
illusion that you can put private info in the DNS and (realistically)
expect it to stay that way. I fully agree with your below that things
like passive dns is not a feature of the DNS, but it *is* a way that
records that people might assume to be private leak.

Yes, I do fully understand that the primary purpose of this is to
discuss the privacy needs / implications of leaking in *transactions*,
but this section seems to pooh-pooh the risks of exposing "private"
names...

Tim's suggestion (coupled with changing the section title) would be
fine with me...

> It does not suggest to store secrets
> in the DNS.  The original text, I believe - biased as might be - did and does
> clearly
> differentiate betweeen residual data and transactions.  'passive DNS'
> is not a feature of the DNS - it is a by-product and, from the perspective
> of privacy, to be addressed under 'risks'.
>
> -Peter

idea in the first place.
of pants.
   ---maf