Peter van Dijk <peter.van.d...@powerdns.com> wrote:

> > https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-ns-revalidation/
>
> As I understand the draft, the revalidation can happen in parallel to
> the actual query the user is waiting for. Any setup/discovery of secure
> transports would have to happen before that, so I'm not sure we can say
> 'on top of delegation revalidation, TLSA lookups are basically free'.

Yes, this still needs to be thought through more carefully, and measured
in the real world. There are at least a couple of issues that worry me:

  * Exactly how bad is the extra latency?

  * How bad / avoidable are the lurking interop traps?

Likely at least two flavours of the latter: due to asking for TLSA, or
due to deeper iterative resolution into the nameserver's name's zone.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
Lough Foyle to Carlingford Lough: Southwest 6 to gale 8, veering northwest 7