[SAH] The criteria to conduct the experiment and measure the outcome could be
documented in the current draft. From there:

Publish experimental RFC.
Conduct experiment.
Publish RFCbis I-D to document the results of the experiment with
informational status for failure or standards track for success.
Assuming success, recharter to publish RFCbis I-D on the standards track.
Adopt RFCbis I-D as a working group document.
Working group works to publish RFCbis on the standards track.

Paul is correct in noting that there's more IETF effort associated with the
above. It's worth making that effort to ensure that the risks to critical
internet infrastructure are minimized.

Scott