Hi Remi,

On 7/08/2019 5:57 pm, Remi Gacogne wrote:
Thanks for reporting this. As far as I can remember it's the first time
I hear about this kind of issue. Stracing (strace -f -p <pid of
dnsdist>) the process for a few seconds when the problem occurs might be
a good start, attaching a debugger (gdb -p <pid of dnsdist>) then
getting a backtrace of all threads (thread apply all bt full) would be
even better.

A strace and backtrace is available here:

https://gbe0.com/dnsdist/dnsdist_bt.txt.gz
https://gbe0.com/dnsdist/dnsdist_strace.txt.gz

Would you also be able to check whether you have some metrics still
increasing when the problem arises using the console and 'showBinds()',
'showServers()' and 'dumpStats()'?

When the issue occurs the metrics do not change if I send UDP queries; if I sent TCP queries the metrics increase as expected.

It's not clear to me from your message whether going back to 1.3.x fixes
the issue, could you clarify that?

Sorry, I did not try 1.3.x on Debian Buster, I would need to build packages for that as there is a conflict that prevents installation of the Stretch package.

The only related issue I can think of involves the network environment
being altered under dnsdist's feet, see [1].

The network config shouldn't be changing (IPv6 is used and the link local addresses are stable too).

Thanks