Am 08.08.2019 um 10:20 schrieb Gentian Bajraktari:
Dear Dnsdist community,

we are trying to setup dnsdist as a loadbalancer for 2 bind recursive cache only servers,

we have done a very simple setup:
addLocal("DNSDIST_IP")
newServer({address="BIND_IP1"})
newServer({address=" BIND_IP2"})
setServerPolicy(roundrobin)

but when we test with resperf (from dnsperf tool), the results are very bad for DNSDIST, around 5-15K QPS , while when we test directly to one of BIND ip addresses the QPS goes up to 50-60Qps.

we have tried both rpm install of dnsdist, compiling from source and even comiling the concur version but all with similar results, ie when resperf tests go through dnsdist the results are much lower in terms of qps.

OS is Centos7 in all servers, tweaked all settings for file limits, udp connections etc.

any thoughts on what we can do? maybe resperf is not the tool to test this? do you have some suggetions on how we can test and make sure we are doing the right thing?

I had similar results. Starting 4 listening threads and 4 receivers threads (by adding the same backend 4 times) boosted my performance - almost linear.

If it still does not work your should post your config (and first test without any rules to avoid performance issues because of rules)

regards
Klaus