I figured it out ... the following works fine. Maybe the dq object is
readonly?

*-- Any traffic that exeeds max qps will be loggedfunction
rateLimitRule(dq)  local ca = dq.remoteaddr  ca:truncate(24)  errlog("Rate
Limit Exceeded: DNSDistRateLimiting "..ca:toString())  return
DNSAction.None, ""end*

Regards,
brian