Jim Faulkner wrote:

I would like dnsmasq to not provide a gateway and DNS server to clients on
the wireless network at all.  I've attempted this by adding these lines to
the configuration file:
dhcp-option=wireless-net,3,0
dhcp-option=wireless-net,6,0

On a windows 2000 client, the above lines work perfectly at disabling a
default route and DNS server.  However, whenever I add either of these
options to the configuration file, the client gets 255.255.255.255 as
its subnet mask.  This causes the client to be unable to connect to the
VPN.

The two dhcp-option lines are wrong, they are interpreted by dnsmasq as "return a single zero byte of data in reply to a request for option 3 or 6". Since the client is expecting a four-byte IP address as an answer for option 3, it looks like it is getting confused, that probably explains the strange netmask effects.

If instead, you do

dhcp-option=wireless-net,3
dhcp-option=wireless-net,6

then you will inhibit sending the gateway and DNS server option completely, which is what you want. You should not need to explicitly set the netmask (option 1) at all.

HTH

Simon.