Staenker wrote:
Hello,
i am new to dnsmasq. I modified the config file a bit and its still
working...

Now to my question: I want dnsmasq to resolv the names of its dhcp
clients. E.g. a client with mac 00:00:0c:00:99:00 requests an ipaddress.
Its name is george. After he has recieved ip 192.168.1.2  from dnsmasq
dhcpd i want to be able to ping him with "ping george". That doasn't
worked for me until i added a line to /etc/hosts with static ip. But if
george gets another ip that wont work.

So do i have to wrote a bash-script for dynamic changes of /etc/hosts or
is there any functionality provided by dnsmasq?

The functionality is provided by dnsmasq.

There are two different ways to make it work.

In the first, the host tells dnsmasq what its name is when it requests an IP address. Look at the documentation for the DHCP client you are using to see how to do that.

In second, the configuration of dnsmasq tells dnsmasq what the name a host has, based on it's MAC address, so you could add

dhcp-host=00:00:0c:00:99:00,george

to /etc/dnsmasq.conf

HTH

Simon.