Stanley Jaddoe wrote:
Hi,

After upgrading Debian woody to sarge, I'm trying to set up dnsmasq to replace the dhcp3 daemon.

My old (working) dhcpd.conf contains:

# wpad proxy config
option wpad code 252 = text;
option wpad "http://server/proxy.pac";;

This enables browsers such as IE and Konqueror to automatically detect proxy settings using WPAD and DHCP.

In dnsmasq, I use:

# set WPAD proxy location
dhcp-option=252,http://server/proxy.pac

That looks fine.

(full config below)

However, the clients are unable get the value of dhcp option 252 (wpad). dnsmasq reports the following in daemon.log on the server:

Jul 17 14:41:24 P1 dnsmasq[1718]: DHCP request for unsupported hardware type (0) recieved on eth1

This seems to indicate that the "htype" field in the DHCP message is set to zero. This indicates the type of network that the request originates from, and should be one, for ethernet.

What should I do to make WPAD via DHCP work in dnsmasq?

Do you know how the browsers are getting the information from the DHCP server? Is it being passed on by the DHCP client, or are the browsers sending a DHCPINFORM request themselves? You could do some packet capture using ethereal and send me the results.

My guess is that the browser is sending a DHCPINFORM request, and getting the value of the htype field wrong. This works with some DHCP servers "by accident" but not with dnsmasq. (I just checked the source of ISC dhcpd 2.x , because it's on my diskand it seems to be the case there.)

Alternatively, htype=0 might be a valid wildcard value, but I can't find any reference to that in a Google search.

The ultimate solution will probably be to make htype=0 a valid case in dnsmasq, but it would be good to understand what's going on first.

Cheers,

Simon.