Holger Schletz wrote:
Hi,

The reason why it happens like this is partly  just history and inertia,
partly because I didn't want to risk the original requestor getting no
response at all, (and suffering a long timeout) when upstream servers
are returning error codes. However, this isn't the first time this has
been reported as a bug (see
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=330422), and from the
next release the behaviuor will change. Now, if a query gets send to n
servers, the first n-1 error replies will be dropped, and only the last
one returned to the original requestor. That means that if some upstream
servers are erroring, but some are working, then the query will still
suceed.

I already read this one, but did't realize this was the same issue... I never checked the upstream servers extensively.
The Debian bug was with servers returning SERVFAIL, but exactly the same thing applies to REFUSED.

I just assumed they were working as I never had problems with the old configuration.
The aim is to have dnsmasq compensate for broken upstream servers as much as possible. Tweaking it for every situation is on-going.

Cheers,

Simon.