Carlos Carvalho wrote:
Simon Kelley (si...@thekelleys.org.uk) wrote on 12 April 2007 18:19:
 >Carlos Carvalho wrote:
 >> I've been using rc1 without problems but today I noticed a big cpu
 >> consumption. I also get many of these messages in the log:
 >> about what's going on?
 >
>Is the CPU being used by dnsmasq, or is the machine busy because of >other load?

At that moment it was both.

>That message is given by the latest code when is cannot log >stuff fast enough, which could be because syslogd is not running fast >enough, or the disk is too busy to write the logs. If you do --log-max=0 >then the old, blocking behaviour is restored, so that you'll be able to >see what dnsmasq was trying to log.

>If the extra CPU load comes from dnsmasq, there might be a bug in the >new logging code. Are you using syslog, or syslog-ng?

syslog. Didn't have time to change yet.

I found strange that it complained about overflow even without
log-queries and log-dhcp but this only happened right after starting,
so it could be because of the overall load.
There are quite a lot of log lines created at startup, so that makes some sense.

I'll turn the logging again and use --log-max=0 to see what happens.

OK. I suspect that this a symptom of a loaded system: the trade-off for lost logging is that dnsmasq keeps working fast, without waiting for syslog.

If you see messages like this, when dnsmasq shouldn't be logging, that's a bug.

Increasing log-max (the default is 5) will reduce the number of lost messages.

Cheers