If I sent this already, I apologize. I checked, but couldn't find it in the archive. I had a little trouble signing up for the mailing list. Anyway...

I have two networks that are connected via a vpn tunnel.  I wanted both
of them to be able to look up hosts in each other, so I played around
with the dnsmasq config file, and this seemed to work:

domain-needed
bogus-priv
filterwin2k
localise-queries

local=/lan/127.0.0.1
local=/lan/10.16.1.1

domain=lan

expand-hosts

dhcp-leasefile=/tmp/dhcpd.leases

(on the other host, the 10.16.1.1 line has a different IP)

First, why does the 127.0.0.1 work?  I think I tried without that, and
names on the other end didn't resolve.  That, and should it cause an
infinite loop, since dnsmasq is already my nameserver?
Why does it mostly work without the // entry?  My guess is that since
isc-dhcpd is set to tell hosts they're in .lan, they append it
automatically when pinging.
Is the order of the local statements the order servers are queried?  I
certainly want to query the local network's server first, especially if
the tunnel is down.

One host without a dhcp lease can't ping foo, it has to ping foo.lan.
Would local=//127.0.0.1 and local=//10.16.1.1 entries fix that?

Thanks-