On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 3:54 AM, Simon Kelley <si...@thekelleys.org.uk> wrote:

<snip>

> On thing which might be interesting, is to define a new type of upstream
> server (maybe called a look-aside server) which dnsmasq will send a query to
> first, and which if it can't answer the query can return a custom
> return-code "Not known", which causes dnsmasq to then push the query into
> the standard server pathway.
>
> That becomes useful if such a server exists.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Simon.

Simon:

I just wanted to chime in here because this idea would fix one of the
problems I've been working with for some time.

I have my own dns server (to deal with IPs that send my mail server spam, etc)

I currently send all dns requests to my dns server first.

The second dns server is fast (its a small install of djbdns from Dan
Bernstein).

But not every query needs to be handled this way.

I could improve the overall efficiency if of this idea if I could
somehow filter which dns queries go off toward my server and which go
out to the internet the standard way.

Your "look-aside" server idea would go a long way toward making this
happen.  The only missing piece would be a sensible way to choose if
the look-aside server was needed or not.

Thanks.

Rance