On 24/04/12 04:21, Adrian May wrote:
Hi Simon,

In the meantime I installed ClearOS, which uses dnsmasq. Now the PCs get
served fast but my embedded boards are still not getting IPs. If I plug
these embedded boards into my 10 dollar domestic router, they get an IP
instantly. I already tried setting bootp-dynamic and dhcp-broadcast in
the config. If I grep everything under /var/log for dnsmasq, there's no
evidence that requests were even received from these boards. So I still
suspect the networking layer.

As for the boards themselves, I'm not entirely sure what they do.
They've got some kind of embedded linux. One boots into yamon where I
can only say "net init", the other into something of its own invention
where I start udhcpc.

I tried no-ping but it had no effect. I can't get my brain around your
tag system. I've just been writing things like bootp-dynamic with no
tags right in the main config file, or in the case of ClearOS, in the
dhcp config file which is referenced from the main config file. Could it
be that these settings have no effect unless I attach some tags, or put
them inside a subnet declaration?

No tags -> applies everywhere, so that's not the problem.

Do you have some combination of --interface, --listen-address and --dhcp-except that's telling dnsmasq not to do DHCP on the network these things are plugged into? Can you plug a laptop or something into the same port and get a DHCP lease?

If you can narrow it down to just these embedded boards, then we'll have to start looking at packet dumps.

Cheers,

Simon.

Adrian.