Hello Wojtek.

--- En date de : Ven 27.7.12, Wojtek Swiatek <w...@swtk.info> a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> I set up dnsmasq on my home network to replace the isc/bind
> legacy
> system :) when changing the architecture. The setup relies
> on a debian
> which acts as the router/firewall/"master of all truth"
> (DNS, ntp,
> ...):
> - an ADSL access to Internet with the public IP assigned to
> eth1
> - a wired network 192.168.0.0/24 bound to eth0 (which has
> the
> 192.168.0.10 address)
> - a wired network 192.168.1.0/24 bound to wlan3 (which has
> the
> 192.168.1.10 address)
> - the domain name for the internal network is "home"
> - firewalling is handled by shorewall
>
> The dnsmasq configuration is:
>
> domain-needed
> bogus-priv
> local=/home/
> [...snipped...]
> What does not work: the "home" domain name does not seem to
> be handled:
>   * /etc/hosts has a
>     192.168.0.10 server.home
>    entry which is not used, ie. "dig server"
> does not return the name,
> "dig server.home" does not either.
>   * PTR records for DHCP-assigned names are not there
>
> I am sure that this is something obvious but I am brand new
> to dnsmasq
> and would appreciate very much any pointers.
>
> Thank you,
> Wojtek

I'm no DNS expert but I always believed there had to be a "dot" in the domain
name, at least for Windows -- if anyone can confirm that... Have you tried a
domain name "localdomain.local" or "home.local" for instance? If you have no
Apple device in your network, at least it should work from Windows and *NIX
machines. (Apple devices/machines might cause issues with the ".local" suffix
when using bonjour.)

Vincent