Completely aside from arguments over the merits of autotools, this
patch is not production-ready.

It makes unrelated changes.  Removal of the copyright notice is
certainly not necessary for use of autotools.

It breaks the documentation, which will no longer accurately describe
the steps needed for build and installation.

And dumping a patch out on a mailing list without introduction or
explanation is inadvisable if you want it to be favorably received.
Especially when it's the first message ever sent by that user to the
list.  You've not participated in any discussion.  You've done nothing
to show that you actually understand the "typical" deployment of
dnsmasq.  OpenSuSE is quite atypical of dnsmasq installations.  Have
you tested the patch on any other platforms?

Simon will decide what to do with your patch, but I suggest that if
you address some of these concerns he's more likely to be positive
toward it.