A while ago I turned off the Network Manager loading of dnsmasq on my
desktop machine and installed a 'real' dnsmasq so that my desktop
machine could be the DNS server for the local LAN.

To do this I commented out the dns=dnsmasq line in
/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf,
installed dnsmasq (apt-get install dnsmasq) and configured
/etc/dnsmasq.conf. This all worked OK but I've now decided that I want
to revert to the default setup and I can't work out how to do it.

I have uncommented the dns=dnsmasq and I have uninstalled dnsmasq but
there's no dnsmasq running.  The dnsmasq-base package *is* still
installed but there's no dnsmasq running after rebooting.

What am I missing?

--
Chris Green