On 17/12/13 12:29, Shixiong Shang wrote:
Hi, guys:

I tried both “slaac” mode and “ra-only” modes with dnsmasq version 2.66. One
thing I noticed was, both modes set the same bit value in the RA:

M-bit = 0, O-bit = 0, A-bit = 1, L-bit = 1.

I am wondering what’s the difference between these two modes then? Would you
please shed some light on it?

There's no difference: "slaac" and "ra-only" have exactly the same effect. Reading back the manpage, the description is very confusing and should be re-written.

The reason for having two different keywords is that they can be used with and without DHCP

dhcp-range = 1234::1, 1234::100, slaac

will do RA with MOAL bits all set, and provide DHCPv6

dhcp-range = 1234::1, slaac

will do RA with only AL bits set, and not DHCP. It's maybe clearer to be able to be able to write.

 dhcp-range = 1234::1, ra-only

in this case.

Thanks!

Shixiong