On 03/04/14 08:22, Craig McQueen wrote:
> I'm using dnsmasq 2.68. It's mostly working, however I'm having a few
> troubles with PTR records when using auth-zone and auth-server. If I use
> these options, then:
>
> * PTR look-up of IP addresses defined by interface-name=example.lan,br0
> return an answer, but the returned status is NXDOMAIN rather than NOERROR.

That's a bug, nasty one. Fix pushed to git,

http://thekelleys.org.uk/gitweb/?p=dnsmasq.git;a=commit;h=10068600f889338d942c7206c98e889bb3a17d57

Thanks for the heads-up.

> * No custom PTR records can be defined with ptr-record.

That's behaving as documented, --ptr-record doesn't appear in the list
of data included in an authoritative zone given in the AUTHORITATIVE
CONFIGURATION section of the man page. The reason is, I think, that
PTR-records can have any name, not just w.x.y.x.in-addr.arpa. It's
therefore difficult to use the subnet(s) associated with an auth-zone to
filter them. It would be possible to filter on the name using the domain
associated with an auth zone, and filter w.x.y.x.in-addr.arpa on the
subnet. That's quite complex to understand/document/use.

> If I remove the auth-zone and auth-server options, then PTR records work
> as expected.
>
> Is there a good reason that this isn't working when using auth-zone and
> auth-server options?

See above: I'm interested in opinions on the PTR thing.

Cheers

Simon.