Simon Kelley <si...@thekelleys.org.uk> writes:

> ... which is probably fighting you by making DBus calls which overwrite
> yours. My understanding is that network-manager supports the sort of
> split-DNS you want direct from the GUI these days.

Well, there are problems with it right now, it's stealing my
gateway. Which is why I wanted to be tactical.

Also it's harder to work with than just scripts.

I don't believe network-manager is doing what you think it's doing, if
it was surely dnsmasq would report the change of servers.

I wish I could use dbus to get dnsmasq to tell me what it's doing.

> If not see here, for how to wrest control of dnsmasq from network-manager:
>
> http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2014q2/008528.html

I don't want to do that either. I am fine with the dbus that's running
if it would do what I want it to do.

I don't want to wholesale change ubuntu.

That feels like a bit of a final comment though.

I guess I could try and alter dnsmasq's dbus handling myself to get it
to report the servers it's using... but it'll be tricky to get ubuntu to
use the new version I guess.

Thanks anyway.

Nic