On 06/05/15 23:12, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
> Simon Kelley <si...@thekelleys.org.uk> writes:
>
>> The MTU if the SIXXs IPv6 network interface is 1428. Failure to
>> receive UDP packets larger than the MTU is a bigger bug than DNS, but
>> I don't know if it's a SIXXS problem or a wider IPv6 one.
>
> Well, IPv6 doesn't fragment packets; hosts are supposed to do PMTU
> discovery and transmit at the MTU that works end-to-end.

It's difficult to see how that would work in practise for DNS. Take the
Google-public-DNS example. It's clearly not sane for Google's servers to
do PMTU on the address of every client, just to send one UDP packet, and
caching PMTU for clients is going to get hard, fast. If the reply-size
is bigger than the PMTU what happens anyway? Presumably a truncated
response, to force fallback to TCP.

I guess it could work the other way around, and the client finds the
PMTU to the server, and puts that in the EDNS0 max packet field. Are
PMTU symetric? In any case, good luck updating every stub resolver in
the world to do this......

Cheers,

Simon.