Hi Simon,

First off, Happy New Year!

I compiled master ec0628c4b2a06e1fc21216091bb040d61a43b271 on OpenWrt
(mips Archer C7 v2 platform  Linux 4.1) a few hours ago and have
experienced dnsmasq going into a tight cpu loop.  Running strace showed
no syscalls, so is spinning in dnsmasq somewhere.  Kill -9 seemed to be
the only way out, and the behaviour would return an indeterminate time
after restart. Unfortunately I didn't have gdb installed on the router,
dnsmasq compiled with debug, nor any experience with gdb for that
matter, so it's a very limited amount of info I can offer.

I tried turning off dnssec usage in case that avoided the problem, which
it didn't.  I'm not really sure what provokes the behaviour.  However
I'd been running efef497b890231ba9232d02e7bfaf8273f044622 for a week
without incident, and have now backed out to
d3a8b39c7df2f0debf3b5f274a1c37a9e261f94e as of a few hours ago (avoiding
the arp caching) so far also without incident.

So this is a pretty vague report of something lurking in very recent code.

Cheers,

Kevin