The behavior I'm seeing it that any host with dnsmasq in it's query path
when running dig returns an A record the response is NOERROR and the answer
section has an A record which looks like

192.168.100.100. 0 IN A 192.168.100.100

If I perform a dig against the upstream server directly I receive an
NXDOMAIN.

I made the assumption that dnsmasq was creating this response was coming
from dnsmasq. I'll do a more detailed investigation to validate that is
true.