Hey guys.

On 2016-12-22 19:14 wrote:
By default the windows firewall blocks ICMPv4 and ICMPv6 ECHO requests, not ICMP in general. This causes several issues, so whenever I setup a Windows machine this is one of the first thing to disable.

Markus' mails were initially saying that he uses "ra-names", so ist definitely not stateful DHCPv6. Mabye he changed inbetween, but I wanted to post this here, what one must do for "ra-names" to work correct:
- Disable firewall rule to block ICMP v4 and also ICMP v6 ECHO
- Disable randomized-identifiers and reboot:

netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled store=active
netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled store=persistent

Uwe
Aye, I were initially using ra-names since I didn't get DHCPv6 working. It turned out that the firewall on the server were the issue. DHCPv6 is preferred for me though as it doesn't have the drawback that it doesn't work out-of-the-box on windows hosts.

I tried installing win 10 home in a virtual machine and it sends its FQDN in the DHCP-request and then the server knows the name of the host it is going to add a A- and AAAA-record.

So my theory that it was the windows 10 edition was wrong.

When I was trying with trial and error to find the issue I got a crazy idea to test plugging in an ethernet cable, then all was working as intended. My host sends its FQDN in its DHCP-request and it gets registred correctly in the lease list with the hostname.

So the culprit seem to be that it is on wifi it doesn't send the FQDN.

Is there a way to flush the lease database in dnsmasq? I have tried removing the line in /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases and restart dnsmasq but my laptop still gets the same IP-address. Or is it that dnsmasq uses the mac-address to generate same IP-address every time?

Merry X-mas.
Markus