Hi and happy new year :)

We don't use DNSSEC, the problem doesn't seem DNSSEC related.

But even if DNSSEC is enabled, a SERVFAIL answer should be forwarded by
dnsmasq to the client only if all upstreams fail DNSSEC chain-of-trust
validation and all send a SERVFAIL to dnsmasq.

How do you think about this behaviour?
Why not forward one upstream answer that succeeded chain-of-trust validation
even
if other failed?

However, our case is not DNSSEC related and can be reproduced by setting up
two upstreams, with one always replying by SERVFAILs answers, the other
one working normally.

- The first request made to dnsmasq yields SERVFAIL (because the
  SERVFAIL answer arrives faster than the not-yet-cached good answer
  (NOERROR) from the other upstream).
- The following requests made to dnsmasq always yield the NOERROR good
  answer because it's now in cache and faster than the
  SERVFAIL-replying-upstream.

Martin