On Sat, 2017-03-04 at 10:41 +0100, Rene Stoutjesdijk wrote:
> i did setup the dnsmasq to be the dns server/resolver for my clients.
> this works fine when i say that the resolver (at my dnsmasq server)
> is
> pointing towards 8.8.8.8
>
> However, my uplink router and ISP could change, so what i'm looking
> for now
> is that the resolver doesn't point anymore to the 8.8.8.8 but follows
> the
> DNS server which i do get provided automatically by the ISP router
> (as the
> interface between the local host and the router is DHCP derived).
> ( i know it could stil work with the 8.8.8.8 but i want to explore
> this
> alternative)
>
> Can this be achieved within dnsmasq? and if yes how.

dnsmasq should be doing this already, unless you've given it the --no-
poll option.  'man dnsmasq' says "Unless --no-poll is used, dnsmasq
checks the modification time of /etc/resolv.conf (or equivalent if --
resolv-file is used) and re-reads it if it changes."

But to debug a bit further, when you notice that dnsmasq isn't using
the same nameserver as in resolv.conf, try 'killall -HUP dnsmasq' and
see if that helps things.  dnsmasq will reread resolv.conf when sent
the HUP signal.

Dan