On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 04:49:13AM -0500, Petr Mensik wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> I think you create some file, for exaqmple
> /etc/NetworkManager/dnsmasq.d/hosts.conf,
> containing addn-hosts=/etc/hosts.dnsmasq.
> Then you would have to create hosts.dnsmasq with hosts(5) format.  Place odin
> there.
>
> 1.2.3.4   odin

OK.

> You could use some hook to NetworkManager to use create special file only
> for selected network. But I never did something like that, I cannot help
> you with that.

Yes, rather too much work for such a trivial requirement really.

> But I think you should try to ask LAN administrator to configure DNS and
> DHCP so that you do not have to invent something yourself.
> Maybe there is a name already that you do not know about.

Unfortunately (or not?) I am the LAN administrator, the LAN is
whatever my laptop happens to be connected to at the time. It's most
often my home LAN (where I have a 'proper' dnsmasq running on another
system) or on my boat where a router provides DHCP.

However the dnsmasq in question is the one that gets run by the
Network Manager process on the laptop itself.  This 'very local'
dnsmasq is now standard on all Ubuntu Linux systems (and probably on
other distributions).

--
Chris Green