Hi Simon,

> This indicates that dnsmasq has been configured to force the packets to
> the upstream server via eth0. To do that requires an operation on the
> socket which can only be done as root, so the socket has to be
> pre-allocated and there's no random source port.
>
>From the comments in the source code I got the impression that root
priviledges are held in pre_allocate_sfds(), but not in
check_servers(). The latter is where the socket is allocated.

> It looks like dnsmasq is being configured by networkmanager via the
> DBus, and I guess it's that which is doing the configuration of the
> upstream server.

Yes. And this same seems to happen in at least Lubuntu 14.04 with
dnsmasq 2.68 (now 16.04/2.75). But it uses random ports. So, something
has changed, if not in dnsmasq, then possibly in NetworkManager.

Risto