On 23/05/17 07:05, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> On 23/05/2017 01:14, Simon Kelley wrote:
>> To the best of my knowledge it's _only_ PXE clients which can accept
>> extra options from a proxy. PXE is a superset of DHCP, which includes
>> that functionality. The DHCP clients run by the OS are just that - DHCP
>> clients, they don't know how to do the PXE proxy-server tricks.
>
> It seems that the discussion went into a direction that I didn't expect.
>
> Let me try to make it simpler (for me) again.
> So, should dnsmasq in the DHCP proxy mode be able to send a root-path option?

No it can't. It's deliberate that it can't and the reasoning for that is
that packets sent in proxy mode can only go to a PXE client, which
doesn't know what to do with (eg) a root-path option.

If that reasoning is shown to be incorrect, it would be relatively
simple to change the code to allow arbitrary options.

Cheers,

Simon.