I am seeing some rather perplexing behaviour regarding the reception of upstream IPV6 UDP DNS query responses on a Debian (raspian) system running on a Raspberry Pi. It appears that dnsmasq is not holding open an IPV6 UDP port to handle a response to an upstream query. What my network monitor shows is the upstream request going out and a reply coming back in. However the Pi rejects the incoming UDP packet with a ICMPV6 Destination unreachable (port unreachable).

I may be missing something obvious here, but it looks like dnsmasq is not holding open a listening port for the response.

Has anyone got any ideas on what is going, or can point me at some ways of tracking this down.

The configuration of dnsmasq is out of the box Debian.

Thanks,

Roger