On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 09:21:49PM +0000, Rosen Penev wrote:
> As far as I can tell, BSDs use GCC 4.2.1 because of GPLv2. The format
> attribute has been supported since at least 3.3.2. It's not a C89 issue.
> Clang has always supported the attribute. Most BSDs have migrated to Clang
> because of License.
>
> Not that I'm against removing the attribute. Just curious about the reason.
> Avoiding potential breakage is good.

Regardless of clang's support (and clang has a different set of
supported attributes than GCC), the __attribute__ stuff is not part of
any standard whatsoever and is therefore untrustworthy.  It only exists
because #pragma hadn't matured, and clang only supports it because it is
trying to be compatible.  It would be better to find a different way.

khm