The default configuration of dnsmasq is to act as a caching proxy server
(this behavior of dnsmasq has existed before dhcp support).  There are a
few reasons the proxying could fail, chief among them being firewall
rules.  If that isn't the problem, increasing the logging detail may give
further clues.

If you want to use dnsmasq only as a DHCP server and not a DNS cache, then
configuring dhcp-option 6 is the right approach.  Note that in this case
you won't be able to look up computers by their dhcp hostname.

A quick summary of nameserver settings:

Lookups from other software on the dnsmasq server: uses /etc/resolv.conf
Lookups from dnsmasq (proxy on behalf of clients): defaults to using
/etc/resolv.conf, can be overridden via --server and/or --resolv-file
options
option "DNS server" sent to DHCP clients: defaults to the IP address of the
dnsmasq server that's in the same block as the address given out, can be
overridden with --dhcp-option 6