I'm in favour, in theory at least, of removing arbitrary limits.
Experience has shown that no matter how big, someone, somewhere, will
always find them. The code originally used a fixed buffer which happened
to be unused at that point, to reduce the memory footprint. Whilst
dnsmasq is still intended to be "small", small is a relative thing, and
absolutely, rather bigger than it was 15 years ago, so allocating a big
enough buffer is fine.

In this case, though, as you hint, it's likely that shell limits will
also be a problem. Even eliminating that by using configuration files,
you still have very long lines, which is ugly.

Can't we solve this problem by allowing repeated interface names, so

--bridge-interface=eth1,alias-1,alias-2

becomes identical to

--bridge-interface=eth1,alias-1
--bridge-interface=eth1,alias-2

the patch to implement that is probably smaller than your offering.

Maybe we should do both?