> Beyond “gaaahhhhhh why didn’t I think of SIGINT”….. excellent.  Understand
> the reasoning, agree, running chez Kevin and backport for LEDE master
> submitted.

and there's still SIGQUIT available!

Out of interest, how does the LEDE plumbing deal with a restart of
dnsmasq _after_ ntp  has established lock?

I've dogfooded the latest code into the boat's router which is running
Chaos Calmer, and added a hotplug script which works great at startup
when ntp comes alive after dnsmasq, but if I restart dnsmasq, there's
nothing to tell dnsmasq that the time is already valid.