Explanation is the root cause of the problem at

https://github.com/ShiftMediaProject/nettle/blob/master/NEWS, line 56
onwards.

This has been causing bug reports from Debian too, and at least one
failed attempt to solve the problem without really understanding it.

I applied the equivalent of your patch but with conditional compilation
to allow compilation on older libnettle versions. Thanks for that.

Cheers,

Simon.