Check all the servers you have configured. If one is not accepting TCP
connections, that could delay things whilst the connection attempt times
out.

If the upstream servers accept TCP connections and reply on them in a
timely manner, I don't know what else could be causing the problem. It
would be worth setting --log-queries to try and see where the delays are.

2.48 is very, very old. Can you upgrade?