On 04/06/2018 11:49, Roy Marples wrote:
These problems are very nicely solved with RFC 6355 which adds DUID-UUID where UUID is taken from the hosts firmware. The UUID can then be displayed on the node alongside the MAC address for provisioning.
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6355

The downside is that no client I know of supports this and I keep meaning to add support to dhcpcd for it. The other downside is that not all hosts have a retrievable UUID as it depends on both the OS and host itself - for example some OS's present a UUID based on the CPUID. Of course this only works if all OS's generate the same UUID from the base data.

I've just implemented DUID-UUID for dhcpcd.
Patch here:
https://roy.marples.name/git/dhcpcd.git/commit/?id=71981cab0e41ea2833489bc51307611727276aff

Tested on NetBSD, OpenBSD, FreeBSD and Linux.
Unsure how to get system-uuid for Solaris or QNX at this time, which are the only other platforms dhcpcd works on (but isn't as well supported).

Roy