the server is fine.  I think.  I'm fuzzy on why I need pc8 in that
line, but whatever:  it seems to be sending 192.168.1.8 to the client.
other clients work just fine.

I just learned that ubuntu bionic uses a new networking management
thing called "netplan"
I suspect this is relevant.

juser@dc10b:~$ cat /etc/netplan/01-netcfg.yaml
# For more information, see netplan(5).