If I've understood the situation correctly, the solution is to replicate
the CNAME in dnsmasq

cname=host.dcpx.org,host.cityname.dcpx.org

that way you'll get an answer to the query for host.dcpx.org which a
cname to host.cityname.dcpx.org and an A record for
host.cityname.dcpx.org from /etc/hosts.

Cheers,

Simon.