Hi Simon,

Thanks for a quick reply.

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 12:23 AM Simon Kelley <si...@thekelleys.org.uk> wrote:
> Thanks for the report. The obvious explanation is that whine_malloc() is
> returning NULL, and the code should handle that. whine_malloc only
> returns NULL if the system cannot allocate any more memory, which is
> possible, but unlikely. Is your router very short on memory?

No, the router has plenty of memory (2GB) and I don't see the "failed
to allocate"-message, so I guess whine_malloc() can't be the culprit.
Since I am using OpenWRT, there could be some defines affecting the
line numbers. I tried to read up on how ifdefs affects line numbers in
gdb backtraces to see if the error could be somewhere else than the
"default" line 1437, but I unfortunately couldn't find anything.
Probably my google-foo is a bit rusty.

When looking over my notes, I see that I have made the following
observations related to this bug:

* Crash happens quite rarely.
* I have only seen the bug right after boot.
* When the bug strikes, dnsmasq will enter a crash loop and never
recover. I.e., I can restart dnsmasq as many times as I like, crash
always happens.
* If I start dnsmasq manually and run it in the foreground after a
crash, I also see the error.

So there seems to be something in the system causing this error, but I
can't figure out what.

> I think the best solution is to wrap all of
>
>       *crecp = *source;
>       crecp->flags &= ~(F_IPV4 | F_IPV6 | F_CNAME | F_DNSKEY | F_DS |
> F_REVERSE);
>       crecp->flags |= F_NAMEP;
>       crecp->name.namep = name;
>
>       cache_hash(crecp);
>
> with
>
> if (crecp)
> {
> }

Thanks, this is basically the same as my current fix, so I can already
report that it is good :)

BR,
Kristian