There seems to be a bug with the
*dhcp-hostsfile=*
...option in a config file.

The man page <http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html>
states that:
The format of a line is the same as text to the right of '=' in
*--dhcp-host*

...when I try to use that format I get startup error:
dnsmasq: bad option at line 2 of /etc/dnsmasq.d/dhcp-hosts

...when I try to add the dhcp-host= to be beginning of each line, the
server *will start* but I get the following warnings in the log file:
 bad hex constant at line 2 of /etc/dnsmasq.d/dhcp-hosts

Based on searches this seems to be a known issue, so I switched to using
the conf-file= option which starts with no errors or warnings.

Both errors seem to originate in options.c but I don't know c well enough
to supply a fix.

The workaround *works*, but you don't get the SIGHUP auto-reload of the
dhcp-hosts without stopping the deamon.

Thanks,
-Zac

dnsmasq --version
Dnsmasq version 2.76  Copyright (c) 2000-2016 Simon Kelley
Compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt DBus i18n IDN DHCP DHCPv6 no-Lua TFTP
conntrack ipset auth DNSSEC loop-detect inotify

This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
Dnsmasq is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2 or 3.