I run dnsmasq on a Raspberry Pi to provide DHCP and DNS services on my
home network.  I often spend quite long periods away from home and I'd
like to have a way of providing some sort of backup if the Raspberry
Pi dies for any reason.

Recently the Pi has died a couple of times so I set up a second Pi
with the same dnsmasq configuration file but without it set to run
from /etc/init.d so that I could ssh into my network and start it
manually.  This worked OK when I had to use it recently but it does
require that I notice something is wrong which I may not do when I'm
away.

Is there a straightforward way of having a secondary DHCP and DNS
server on a LAN?

--
Chris Green