On 5/15/2019 12:21 AM, Kevin Flynn wrote:

> On 5/14/19 3:15 PM, john doe wrote:
>> On 5/14/2019 6:42 PM, Kevin Flynn wrote:
>>>
>>> hostnames to clients. I've tried all the obvious methods, including
>>> /etc/ethers, dhcp-hostsfile entries, dhcp-ignore-names,
>>> dhcp-generate-names, tag sets, etc. with no luck.
>>> So in summary, is there any way to tell dnsmasq to send a dhcp option 12
>>> hostname to a client reliably, everytime, regardless of what the client
>>> is sending ?
>>>

>> Why not using the MAC address of those devices in dnsmasq?

>> http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html
>>
>> --
>> John Doe

> I have tried using dhcp-host lines, as well as using a dhcp-hostsfile.
> which according to the man page are equivalent. These are the methods I
> am using to assign an ip address to each ATA box via MAC address.
>
> Dnsmasq successfully sends them a domain name, a network time service
> address, a pair of DNS server addresses, a netmask and gateway address,
> etc.
>
> I cannot get dnsmasq to send an "option 12 hostname." I need to send all
> of the above into in the dhcp offer and in addition, set the hostname of
> the client regardless of what hostname the client thinks it is, because
> I have 2 clients who assign themselves the same hostname.

I think that in this case option 12 is a red herring.

>From the dnsmasq.conf:
# Always set the name of the host with hardware address
# 11:22:33:44:55:66 to be "fred"
#dhcp-host=11:22:33:44:55:66,fred

If the above does not work for you we would need to see the dnsmasq.conf
in question.

Note that the faulty leases are to be cleared in the lease file after
eatch change.

--
John Doe