(luck of sleep, fixing some mistakes in text)

Hello everyone,

I run consul services on my network where services are registered with
<xyz>.service.consul when they start.  All containers and bare metal hosts are
running dnsmasq 2.80.
I noticed that if I restart one of the containers, one of the hosts continue
failing to resolve the service name.  I assume that dnsmasq is a culprit
because:

1. I can resolve service xyz.service.consul against standard dns servers with
dig.
2. Dnsmasq listening on 127.0.0.1 is the first line in the resolve.conf and
when I run tcpdump against port 53 on interface lo I see it returns NXDOMAIN on
each A record query for service in question.
3. If I restart dnsmasq everything is back to normal again. Even more weird, if I send SIGHUP to dnsmasq, which only causes a reread of /etc/hosts file, everything is back to normal as far as service resolution goes.

I have this problem only happening on some hosts without the pattern I can recognize. For example I have two nodes with the same config, os, kernel version, dnsmasq version, etc ... and one of them has the problem 100% after service xyz.service.consul restart and the other is not.

Where do I start troubleshooting? Any ideas are welcome.

Here is a standard dnsmasq confugration.

port=53
domain-needed
bogus-priv
interface=lo
listen-address=127.0.0.1
no-dhcp-interface=127.0.0.1
#bind-interfaces
no-resolv
all-servers
dns-forward-max=500

# If you don't want dnsmasq to read /etc/hosts, uncomment the
# following line.
#no-hosts
# or if you want it to read another file, as well as /etc/hosts, use
# this.
#addn-hosts=/etc/banner_add_hosts

#log-queries=extra
#log-facility=/var/log/dnsmasq.log
log-async=25

# Set the cachesize here.
cache-size=10000
min-cache-ttl=5
#neg-ttl=3600

# If you want to disable negative caching, uncomment this.
#no-negcache

# For debugging purposes, log each DNS query as it passes through
# dnsmasq.
#log-queries
clear-on-reload

server=10.0.48.12