Hey Normen,

What is the precise goal you want to achieve with DNS-over-TLS?

You have to connect to the host before the encryption begins. So, after the
browser has the IP address for the domain it seeks, it requests that host
address in clear text. If you want to give your browsing from your IDP, this is
the point where you inevitably lost without a VPN. Only after a connection had
been established, the TLS handshake process begins and the encryption is
operational.

As such, DoH and DoT do nothing to increase your privacy against your ISP. They
can still see your IP requests if they want, and a third party DNS service has
your entire DNS history. You do have the benefit of authenticity, in that the
DNS travels in an encrypted tunnel with protection from a third party modifying
it. However, when you use DNSSEC, you already get the same security benefits.

>From a privacy point of view, I typically recommend to run a local unbound
>instance on the same machine that does reverse lookups and DNSSEC
>authentication for you. By this, no single DNS provider has all your data.

Your view might differ from mine, it's always a question of whom you trust more
over the others. There is no solution where you don't have to trust, e.g.,
either you ISP or a VPN provider. I just know that I trust my local ISP over
some random large scale "for free" DNS provider which is why I have my local
unbound resolver in addition to dnsmasq.

Best,
Dominik